How to Change the Battery in Your Mercedes-Benz Key
If you think your Mercedes-Benz key fob isn’t working like it did when you first drove your new Mercedes-Benz in Los Angeles, it’s not your imagination! Key fob batteries wear out over time, and a dying battery can cause slow response anytime you use remote or push-button start systems. Read our guide below for the signs your key battery is dying, and learn how to change the battery in a Mercedes-Benz key fob — whether you take the DIY approach, or leave it to a professional in Los Angeles.
When to Replace Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery
How can you tell it’s time to replace your Mercedes-Benz key fob battery? If you see one or more of the following signs, your key battery is probably on its way out:
- Sluggish push-button engine starts. Does it take several minutes or multiple attempts to start your car, and does the engine response seem slow? A dying key fob battery can’t send a strong signal to the Start button.
- Loss of transmitter range. As your key battery dies, you need to be closer to the car for the fob to work.
- Fob buttons don’t work. Nothing happens when you press lock, unlock, and panic alarm buttons. This may mean the fob battery is too weak to transmit a signal.
- Dashboard warning light. A dash light that indicates a charging system issue may be triggered by a low Mercedes-Benz key fob battery.
If you notice any of these warning signs, be sure to replace your key fob battery ASAP — or schedule authorized Mercedes-Benz service near Pasadena! Concerned about the Mercedes-Benz service cost? Next, we’ll look at how to change the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key at home.
How to Replace Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery
If you’re comfortable replacing the key battery yourself, you can avoid the Mercedes-Benz service cost with these simple steps:
- Find your key type. Most Alhambra Mercedes-Benz owners will have either a Chrome Key or a Smart Key. Depending on the type you have, you’ll follow slightly different steps to change the battery.
- Buy the batteries. A Smart Key requires two CR 2025 batteries. The newer Chrome Key only needs one CR 2025.
Smart Key Battery Change
- Pull the latch at the end of the key holder.
- Insert your key horizontally into the open slot.
- Lift out the battery compartment and replace the batteries.
Chrome Key Battery Change
- Pull on the tab at the bottom.
- Push your key into the narrow end of the slot to remove the cover.
- Replace the battery.
If you start the process to replace the battery but aren’t sure if you’re doing it right, just give us a call so we can walk you through the process. You can also stop by anytime for a quick battery replacement at Mercedes-Benz of Arcadia, your Mercedes-Benz Los Angeles-area dealership.
Find Quality Service for Your Mercedes-Benz in Los Angeles
Looking for tire alignment or other routine services in Arcadia? Contact us for details on our Mercedes-Benz service costs. Check out our special offers on essential services, routine maintenance, and replacement parts! Our team can also help you learn about the A-Class interior, Mercedes-Benz GLA interior, C-Class dimensions, and more!
More from Mercedes-Benz of Arcadia
Through its EQ product brand, Mercedes-Benz is setting the definitive standard for luxury in electric vehicles. Every Mercedes-Benz EQ interior has been noteworthy, but the Mercedes-Benz EQS interior is the boldest statement yet. It is finally arriving in the Los Angeles area. The Vision EQS streamlines automotive design into an ideal of elegance. The cabin…
The all-new Mercedes-AMG®® GT Black Series has been carefully developed to enhance the already incredible performance of the venerable Mercedes-AMG®® GT Coupe. With a fully reengineered engine, enhanced aerodynamics, and race-bred features, the Mercedes-AMG®® GT Black Series transforms this luxury grand tourer to a fully-fledged supercar. So just what makes the Mercedes-AMG®® GT Black…
The new Mercedes-Benz EQS is a Mercedes-Benz electric vehicle that is in production. If you’re looking for a more efficient Los Angeles commute without sacrificing style, comfort, and a high-tech experience, then this is the model to choose. Learn more about the new Mercedes-Benz EQS with us at Mercedes-Benz of Arcadia today and be on the lookout for…