How to Change the Battery in Your Mercedes-Benz Key
If you think your Mercedes-Benz key fob isn’t working like it did when you first drove your new Mercedes-Benz in Los Angeles, it’s not your imagination! Key fob batteries wear out over time, and a dying battery can cause slow response anytime you use remote or push-button start systems. Read our guide below for the signs your key battery is dying, and learn how to change the battery in a Mercedes-Benz key fob — whether you take the DIY approach, or leave it to a professional in Los Angeles.
When to Replace Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery
How can you tell it’s time to replace your Mercedes-Benz key fob battery? If you see one or more of the following signs, your key battery is probably on its way out:
- Sluggish push-button engine starts. Does it take several minutes or multiple attempts to start your car, and does the engine response seem slow? A dying key fob battery can’t send a strong signal to the Start button.
- Loss of transmitter range. As your key battery dies, you need to be closer to the car for the fob to work.
- Fob buttons don’t work. Nothing happens when you press lock, unlock, and panic alarm buttons. This may mean the fob battery is too weak to transmit a signal.
- Dashboard warning light. A dash light that indicates a charging system issue may be triggered by a low Mercedes-Benz key fob battery.
If you notice any of these warning signs, be sure to replace your key fob battery ASAP — or schedule authorized Mercedes-Benz service near Pasadena! Concerned about the Mercedes-Benz service cost? Next, we’ll look at how to change the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key at home.
How to Replace Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery
If you’re comfortable replacing the key battery yourself, you can avoid the Mercedes-Benz service cost with these simple steps:
- Find your key type. Most Alhambra Mercedes-Benz owners will have either a Chrome Key or a Smart Key. Depending on the type you have, you’ll follow slightly different steps to change the battery.
- Buy the batteries. A Smart Key requires two CR 2025 batteries. The newer Chrome Key only needs one CR 2025.
Smart Key Battery Change
- Pull the latch at the end of the key holder.
- Insert your key horizontally into the open slot.
- Lift out the battery compartment and replace the batteries.
Chrome Key Battery Change
- Pull on the tab at the bottom.
- Push your key into the narrow end of the slot to remove the cover.
- Replace the battery.
If you start the process to replace the battery but aren’t sure if you’re doing it right, just give us a call so we can walk you through the process. You can also stop by anytime for a quick battery replacement at Mercedes-Benz of Arcadia, your Mercedes-Benz Los Angeles-area dealership.
Find Quality Service for Your Mercedes-Benz in Los Angeles
Looking for tire alignment or other routine services in Arcadia? Contact us for details on our Mercedes-Benz service costs. Check out our special offers on essential services, routine maintenance, and replacement parts! Our team can also help you learn about the A-Class interior, Mercedes-Benz GLA interior, C-Class dimensions, and more!
More from Mercedes-Benz of Arcadia
The 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLS has a starting MSRP* of $76,000 and offers a thrilling performance, high-end luxury, and advanced comfort. Learn more about the new Mercedes-Benz GLS price as well as the features each trim level has to offer for an affordable GLS price in Arcadia. View Inventory Contact Us 2021 GLS 450 Price: Starting…
The Mercedes-Benz S-Class interior is built with your needs in mind. From luxe materials to high-end technology, you won’t want to miss out on this model and all it has to offer. Learn more about the 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class interior from the Mercedes-Benz lineup and more with our team at Mercedes-Benz of Arcadia before you schedule a…
The new Mercedes-Benz Sprinter offers leasing technology features that will benefit you on any commute through Los Angeles and beyond. When it comes to the 2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter dimensions, you’ll find plenty of space for everything you need to bring along for the ride. Cargo Van, Passenger Van, Crew Van, and Cab Chassis Sprinter configurations can…