How to Change the Battery in Your Mercedes-Benz Key
If you think your Mercedes-Benz key fob isn’t working like it did when you first drove your new Mercedes-Benz in Los Angeles, it’s not your imagination! Key fob batteries wear out over time, and a dying battery can cause slow response anytime you use remote or push-button start systems. Read our guide below for the signs your key battery is dying, and learn how to change the battery in a Mercedes-Benz key fob — whether you take the DIY approach, or leave it to a professional in Los Angeles.
When to Replace Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery
How can you tell it’s time to replace your Mercedes-Benz key fob battery? If you see one or more of the following signs, your key battery is probably on its way out:
- Sluggish push-button engine starts. Does it take several minutes or multiple attempts to start your car, and does the engine response seem slow? A dying key fob battery can’t send a strong signal to the Start button.
- Loss of transmitter range. As your key battery dies, you need to be closer to the car for the fob to work.
- Fob buttons don’t work. Nothing happens when you press lock, unlock, and panic alarm buttons. This may mean the fob battery is too weak to transmit a signal.
- Dashboard warning light. A dash light that indicates a charging system issue may be triggered by a low Mercedes-Benz key fob battery.
If you notice any of these warning signs, be sure to replace your key fob battery ASAP — or schedule authorized Mercedes-Benz service near Pasadena! Concerned about the Mercedes-Benz service cost? Next, we’ll look at how to change the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key at home.
How to Replace Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery
If you’re comfortable replacing the key battery yourself, you can avoid the Mercedes-Benz service cost with these simple steps:
- Find your key type. Most La Cañada Mercedes-Benz owners will have either a Chrome Key or a Smart Key. Depending on the type you have, you’ll follow slightly different steps to change the battery.
- Buy the batteries. A Smart Key requires two CR 2025 batteries. The newer Chrome Key only needs one CR 2025.
Smart Key Battery Change
- Pull the latch at the end of the key holder.
- Insert your key horizontally into the open slot.
- Lift out the battery compartment and replace the batteries.
Chrome Key Battery Change
- Pull on the tab at the bottom.
- Push your key into the narrow end of the slot to remove the cover.
- Replace the battery.
If you start the process to replace the battery but aren’t sure if you’re doing it right, just give us a call so we can walk you through the process. You can also stop by anytime for a quick battery replacement at Mercedes-Benz of Arcadia, your Mercedes-Benz Los Angeles-area dealership.
Find Quality Service for Your Mercedes-Benz in Los Angeles
Looking for tire alignment or other routine services in Arcadia? Contact us for details on our Mercedes-Benz service costs. Check out our special offers on essential services, routine maintenance, and replacement parts! Our team can also help you learn about the A-Class interior, C-Class dimensions, and more!
More from Mercedes-Benz of Arcadia
View A-Class Inventory Contact Us Take a closer look at the new Mercedes-Benz A-Class interior to see all of the state-of-the-art technology, comfort, and convenience features this model has to offer. With the impressive A-Class dimensions offering plenty of space for everyone and everything you want to bring long for the ride, you can rest…
View Commercial Van InventorySprinter Van Lease Specials Los Angeles business owners searching for an ideal transportation solution to suit their company’s needs will want to learn more about Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van options at Mercedes-Benz of Arcadia. Whether you opt for the 2020 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Passenger Van, Cargo Van, or Crew Van, you’ll find that the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter interior…
#ICYMI last night, we welcomed the all-new 2019 A-Class Sedan to the United States. Stay tuned to find out everything you need to know about this vehicle. #worldpremiere #AClass #MercedesBenz ?: @lasseur A post shared by Mercedes-Benz USA (@mercedesbenzusa) on Jul 26, 2018 at 7:39am PDT Since the upcoming 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class was unveiled during…